Sunday, July 21, 2013

Blog Post Assignment #16 Final Reflection

Part 1 Blog Post #16 Final Reflection

"A New Me"

I am so excited to say that I am one step closer to becoming an Elementary teacher. I have become a new me. I can truly say that EDM310 was my source of confirmation. I know now without a doubt that I want to be an educator. I admire the boost of reality I got from EDM310. While looking back at my very first blog post in EDM310 I almost started laughing. I have honestly improved as an overall student during this short Summer semester; all thanks to Dr. Strange's class. I have become a better writer, more open minded, and I love learning. Technology used to intimidate me, now I can happily say, NOT anymore. I have become very technologically literate. I am by no means at my final goal yet as far as being a successful teacher, but I am closer. 

At the beginning of the semester I wanted to teach 2nd grade. I was intimidated by the higher grades, the work load, and more intense work. Now, I really have no preference. I will be happy to teach any grade in the Elementary school. Dr. Strange has taught us to remain open minded and always be willing to LEARN. I am enthused about learning more than I am about teaching. I feel that teaching Elementary Ed I will be learning something new everyday. Especially with technology. There is always something to learn. I have learned to not be afraid of being wrong. Nothing is perfect and some things do fail at times. But it's okay. If we are never wrong and we never fail, how will we learn the right way?
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRa8tSRnsk5yJ6DpYmUjfRvKgshkX1_EDm0uuEU_7bz0xwWhb4m
I remember Dr. Strange asking us, "What do we want our students to be able to do"? I replied with a corny, general answer not giving much thought into it at all. Probably not even knowing the answer to be honest. Now I am ready to answer that question again.... I want my students to be willing to teach me just as much as I am willing to teach them. I want them to be able to enjoy a Project Based Learning classroom as I will set up for them. I want to help them successfully set up a blog so they can record their experiences, leanings, and new found resources with their peers. I want my class to be open minded and not intimidated about new things and new ways of learning. 


Another question that Dr. Strange asked is, "What will be my primary way of teaching my students what I want them to know"? Of course, my answer was foolish. I remember saying I wanted my class to use their imagination. Yes, there is nothing wrong with using your imagination. That's what I want from my class but how exactly can I teach them that? So therefore, my new method for teaching my students what I want them to know is none other than Project Based Learning. Project Based Learning leaves so many open doors for creativity. It's a learning process rather than a test at the end of a lesson. It's the answer to what so many teachers are missing in their classroom. And they wonder why grading papers is so boring!?! 

There is so much more that can not be put into words. I wish I could just take a recorder with me in the future in my classroom and let Dr. Strange see the effects that EDM310 has on future educators. But wait! I can! That's the beauty of technology in the 21st century classroom. Goodbye EDM310. It has been a blast. Good luck future students. I hope you learn as much as I did. No More Burp-Back Education!!!!






4 comments:

  1. Amber,

    It is wonderful that you are so excited about being a teacher. You said, "I am by no means at my final goal yet as far as being a successful teacher, but I am closer." As a teacher, you should NEVER meet your final goal that will make you sit back and think, "OK, I am successful now. I can stop trying." As teachers, we must always be striving to improve and learn more about ourselves and how our students learn. Dr. Strange is a perfect example of that! Good job this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Now, I really have no preference. I will be happy to teach any grade in the Elementary school." A very wise decision if you want a job!

    "I want my students to be willing to teach me just as much as I am willing to teach them. I want them to be able to enjoy a Project Based Learning classroom as I will set up for them. I want to help them successfully set up a blog so they can record their experiences, leanings, and new found resources with their peers. I want my class to be open minded and not intimidated about new things and new ways of learning. " Wonderful!

    " I wish I could just take a recorder with me in the future in my classroom and let Dr. Strange see the effects that EDM310 has on future educators. " Maybe an EDM310 student will do an interview with you on Google Hangout.

    How do I evaluate you with no tests? What data do I have? A lot! Sixteen blog posts, 16 projects, 4 classroom discussions, 2 responses to questionnaires from members of your group, observation in class and the Lab by lab professional and by me, presentations (prepared and spontaneous), at least 20 comments on the blogs of others (students and teachers), a video reflection and three questionnaires. I have more data than any other teacher you will have at South. And not a single test!

    Do stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You are completely right. Haha Thanks!

      Delete